"Laughter is brightest where food is best"- Irish Proverb

Monday, September 19, 2011

One of the Best Cool Weather Meals... TEXAS CHILI!

The hubby and I are fans of anything spicy! This recipe definitely isn't for the faint of heart. But if you like sour cream and lots of cheese in your chili like me... it is the perfect amount of spice :-) If you are not a fan of spice, omit the jalapenos.

Ingredients:
2lbs Ground Beef
28oz of Tomato Sauce
3 Cans of Red Beans
3 Medium Sized Jalapenos 
2 Medium Sized Green Peppers
1 Medium Onion
1 1/2 Table Spoons of Garlic Powder
1/2 Table Spoon of Chili Powder
1 Teaspoon of Lawyers Seasoning Salt
1 Teaspoon of Ground Pepper
1/2 Table Spoon of Paprika
1/2 Teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper


Directions:
1. Chop onion and peppers. Mince the jalapenos.
2. Combine ground beef, onion, pepper and jalapenos in a large pot. Cook until ground beef is cooked thoroughly and brown through out. Drain meat and return to pan.
3. Add tomato paste to pot. Drain the liquid from the canned beans. Add beans to the pot and stir.
4. Add water to the pot until you have your desired consistency. (I don't like mine super thick)
5. Add one seasoning at a time, stirring in between each one.
6. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce to simmer. Cover with a lid. Stir every 30 minutes or so. The longer you can cook it... the better! I would say don't cook it any less than one hour... but I typically cooking mine for 3 hours.
7. My hubby and I like ours with sour cream and cheese. Hubby likes crackers to dip in his... I like tortilla chips :-)


2 comments:

  1. This chili recipe looks fantastic! Im going to try it :) are you able to freeze any left overs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura I have never tried! I don't see why not.

    ReplyDelete